Category Archives: Feeling Overwhelmed
We all feel overwhelmed at time. This usually results from feeling like we have too much to do and that we will never get it all accomplished, or at least not in time.
As Brian Tracy sagely reminds us, “Although there is never enough time to do everything, there is always enough time to do the most important things, and to stay with them until they are done right.” – Brian Tracy
To regain our mojo and again feel like we are back in control of our lives, then, we need to effectively set and accomplish goals.
Elements Іn Effective Goals Setting:
- Goals must be in writing. Until then, your goal is just a wish (and likely will go unfulfilled).
- Your written goal needs desire behind it (otherwise you will likely find a way to leave it undone)
- A goal must have a definite “end line” (another words, you must be able to definitely know when to check the box or cross through it indicating it has been accomplished).
- A goal must have a realistic time to be accomplished (without a time that pushes you to finish the goal, the item will actually ADD TO instead of alleviate your sense of overwhelm)
- Make sure you believe you are capable of accomplishing the goal (as Napolean Hill tells us, we can achieve whatever we believe. The inverse, of course, is that we are incapable of achieving something we do not have faith in ourselves to accomplish. Especially when you feel overwhelmed these kind of goals making your list will be counter-productive. The goal can stretch you, but you must have faith in your ability to get it done within the timeline)
- Judge your effectiveness in terms of showing up and performing rather than tying your self-esteem to the outcome (i.e. – never make “Going out with Suzy Jones” a goal. Instead make “asking out five girls I like” a goal. Anytime you tie the accomplishment of a goal outside your ability to control, you set yourself up for failure.)
- Set goals based on the person you wish to become, not based on what your think your religion, parent, teacher or priest wants for your life. These people are important, but you are not living their life, right? LIVE YOUR LIFE. It is the only one you can live.
- Now that you have your goals, work your tail off to get them done (“Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration.” – attributed to many great people, original source unknown)
From my heart to yours,